Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Sunday morning was another trip to the hospital. I woke up early with frequent contractions, called the doc who said to head to the hospital. After being monitored for about an hour I was given tributaline (sp). This med makes my heart rate speed up considerably which makes me very shaky but it helps with the contractions. The doc then checked for dialation and said I wasn't dialated, which was a huge relief. Well, after 2 more doses of the trib and the contractions hadn't slowed down as the doc would like she checked again for dialation and I had dialated to 1 cm. I was emotional when she said that because every other time I hadn't dialated and I expected the same result. I am 34 weeks pregnant and would like this little girl to stay in a few more weeks. She reassured me that 34 weekers normally do very well and suggested I talk with a NICU nurse if needed. Because I had started to dialate the doc wanted to keep me overnight for monitoring and suggested getting magnesium if the contractions didn't slow down. This medication can give you flu like symptoms but is pretty effective for stopping pre-term labor. Thankfully I didn't need the mag because my contractions slowed down, which was a huge answer to prayer because on top of everything else, I didn't want to deal with the side effects of that medication. My contractions got better overnight, didn't get much sleep due to the baby monitors. The nurse had to keep coming in to adjust them frequently because the baby moves a lot and the heart rate needs to be constantly monitored.
In the morning we were told that the doc would come in sometime soon and would probably release me. He didn't make it to the room until about 6:15 p.m. He had a very busy day with surgeries and deliveries (that's what the nurse kept saying). He apologized when he walked in but was in the room about 3 minutes (very frustrating) and released me to go home. The nurse checked one more time to see if I had dialated any more. She said I was still open 1 cm.
I will be 35 weeks this Friday (3 days), that's my goal. The doc said that since this is girl if I went into labor they wouldn't give me steroids for her lungs. Preemie baby girls lungs are more developed that preemie boys lungs. I had heard that before and he said there isn't an explanation for it. I will update more later. Need to rest. :)

No comments: